Job Location: Baltimore, MD
Company Name: Johns Hopkins Medicine
Date Posted: 2019-06-22
Valid Through: 2019-07-22
Employment Type: FULL_TIME
Job ID: 1111113192
General Position Summary:
In accordance with institutional policies and standards responsible for administration, programming, maintenance, performance, implementation, security and support of various departmental and enterprise wide platforms, including the installation and testing of new software, operating systems, related utilities/services, and hardware products as well as the integration of new products and /or software release upgrades into the current environment. Conducts systems performance evaluations, monitoring, patch management and security evaluations. Analyzes user needs in various computer environments (including but not limited to mainframe, Windows, and mid-range) and makes recommendations for products and services that meet those needs. Ensures that all systems environments are maintained in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
Develop solutions based on extensive technical knowledge, skills and experience; influence clients towards innovative/integrated solutions. Responsible for full life-cycle of medium to large sized complex projects; strong technical skills; strong ability to understand complex business processes. Complex and large projects typically are applications/systems with 501-3000 concurrent users requiring uptime commensurate with Clinical, Business critical, Education critical or Enterprise systems. Impacts of outages will cause major disruption such as implementation of downtime procedures, major disruption of business operations, and/or cascades to more than 7 systems/applications. Disruptions are without obvious or simple workarounds. Build and maintain client relationships through positive interactions. May provide assistance to lower level positions. Project scope can span an entire department, division, or enterprise-wide level. For enterprise-wide level typical projects impact the broader customer base of Johns Hopkins and its most mission critical systems. Projects often require interaction with various departments and teams both within and outside the department. Work is complex.
The responsibilities listed below are typical examples of the work performed by this position. Not all duties assigned to this position are included, nor is it expected that everyone in this position will be assigned every job responsibility.
SYSTEMS ANALYSIS/DESIGN (ENVIRONMENT/PLATFORM)
• Design complex business, clinical, education, or infrastructure solutions by meeting with customers to observe and understand current processes and the issue related to those processes. Provide written documentation and diagrams of findings to share with the client and other IT colleagues.
• Design complex solutions that conform to institutional policies, standards, and guidelines, and infrastructure environment and to vendor and industry best practices to deliver a quality product.
• Select infrastructure applications that reside between end user applications and hardware operating systems by working with vendors, customers, and other sources (i.e., opensource or Internet2 initiatives) to provide configurable tools to the customers.
• Develop new methods to improve service processes, performance, and functionality by examining existing systems management tools and processes.
• Research, recommend, and implement new technologies based on the value to the institutions.
• Works with vendor processes and product to improve the quality and fit for the institutions. Typically establishes product mastery, and demonstrates initiative for improvements.
INSTALL AND CONFIGURE
• Install and configure complex server hardware and operating systems by following technical documentation to provide a working product.
• Evaluate, implement, and manage appropriate complex software and hardware solutions by using best practices for the environment to ensure system integrity.
• Install and configure infrastructure applications by following product installation and configuration directions and industry best practices to deliver a solution to the customers.
• Implement a schedule of system backups and archive operations by using best practices for the environment to ensure data/media recoverability.
MAINTAIN AND TROUBLESHOOT
• Provide complex server level administration (manage HW/SW, maintenance, upgrades and patches, account maintenance, backups and recoveries and assist users) by following documented procedures to ensure a stable environment.
• Monitor and tune the system by following documentation and procedures to achieve optimum performance levels.
• Develop complex scripts and solutions by using departmental standards to automate systems management.
• Perform complex system software upgrades including planning and scheduling, testing, and coordination by following documentation and departmental standards to provide a stable product for the environment.
• Design and/or integrate security authorization and access control. Audit and maintain user access and authorization by following access and authorization documentation to provide for system security.
• Generate and maintain complex periodic and ongoing system specific reports by using appropriate tools to assess system performance, integrity and capacity in order to deliver a stable environment to the users.
• Follow and maintain IT security awareness and best practices by understanding security principles as they pertain to environments supported in order to deliver secure solutions to customers.
• Utilize system management and monitoring tools and incident tracking systems by following documentation and standards to detect incidents, take corrective actions, and determine root cause.
• Monitor changes and resolve any incidents by responding to problems as they occur, by reviewing all processing and output of the newly implemented solution, and by proactively ensuring the solution works successfully in order to satisfy the customer requirements and to provide a smooth transition to the new solution.
PROJECT COLLABORATION AND LIFECYCLE PARTICIPATION
• Implement changes while adhering to the change management policies and procedures in order to deliver a successful solution to the customer. Communicate to all parties the nature, significance, and risk factors.
• With assistance of the project team, develop RFP’s from requirements gathered by following institutional and purchasing guidelines in order to present well documented requirements to potential vendors for proposed solutions.
• Evaluate vendor proposals by reviewing requirements for the product to select the most appropriate vendor.
• Assist vendors, consultants, and inside Enterprise groups in developing applications by meeting with the team on a regular basis to deliver quality products to customers.
• Participate in scheduled project team meetings by attending all meeting to provide input to the project team.
• Author and maintain documentation by writing audience-appropriate materials to serve as technical and/or end user reference.
• Develop test scenarios appropriate to changes being implemented by following testing guidelines to ensure all delivered solutions work as expected and errors are handled in a meaningful way.
• Test all changes by using the appropriate test scenarios to ensure all delivered solutions work as expected and errors are handled in a meaningful way.
• May participate in Institutional and Departmental committees and initiatives.
Position Overview: The Systems Engineer is responsible for participating in the design, implementation, administration and support of a secure and highly available enterprise email infrastructure and services.
Describe the position’s roles & interactions: In addition, the Systems Engineer is responsible fo contributing to the configuration, maintenance and performance of the business critical enterprise email systems. This will include the recommendation, installation, configuration and testing of new hardware and software. Furthermore, the incumbent will integrate new technologies and products into the existing environment as well as evaluate security risks and vulnerabilities and system performance, manage application and operating system updates and monitor system activities. The Systems Engineer will analyze user requirements across multiple platforms and develop recommendations for products and services to answer those requirements. The incumbent’s contribution to the enterprise email infrastructure and services includes working with over 110 enterprise-class Hewlett-Packard, Cisco, and VMWare-hosted physical and virtual servers, appliances and the supporting on-premises infrastructure. Integrated products include, but are not limited to, Big-IP F5, Microsoft’s Intune and Skype for Business.
Describe the specific devices, software, projects for which the position is responsible:
• System software includes, but is not limited to, Microsoft Exchange 2013 and 2016 and Microsoft Windows 2012 and 2016. Other current technologies include Exchange Online (three tenants/email domains) and Sympa Mailing List Management systems.
• The Systems Engineer will support a variety of client access software such as MS Outlook 2013 and 2016 on the Microsoft Windows platform and MS Outlook 2016 and Mail.app on the Macintosh OS X platform, as well as a diverse range on mobile devices like iPhone, Droids and iPads.
• The incumbent’s team also participates in provisioning and supporting many service related technologies and protocols such as Exchange Web Services, Autodiscover, MAPI over HTTP, Outlook Anywhere, SMTP, IMAP, POP and ActiveSync.
• The Systems Engineer will also identify protocols to respond to and reduce the damage from a compromised account or system. Additionally, the incumbent will be responsible for helping define desirable outputs from the enterprise monitoring program in the form of alerts, dashboards, and reports.
• The Systems Engineer will also utilize a number of custom, proprietary and vendor software, applications and tools including PowerShell, Nessus, Spunk and Microsoft SQL Server.
Significant projects include, but are not limited to, the following –
• Secure Access – MS Exchange 2016 On-Premises
• Microsoft Exchange Transitions (Versioning)
• Mail System Migrations
Describe scale/size of area, project and/or system supported
• The scale is that of a large Enterprise. Hopkins messaging environment is used by those all over the globe and at all hours of the day.
Complexity is at the highest level. The messaging environment must maintain 100% uptime as well as provide additional layers of security in an effort to prevent compromised user accounts and systems.
List required & preferred skills specific to position:
• Knowledge & experience with MS Exchange Management Console, Shell, and Admin Center.
• Knowledge & experience with the most recent versions of MS Exchange Server.
• Knowledge & experience with MS Windows Server and desktop operating systems.
• Knowledge & experience with MS PowerShell, Active Directory and SQL Server.
• Knowledge & experience with Macintosh OS X operating systems.
• Knowledge & experience with MS Outlook versions for Windows and Macintosh
• Knowledge & experience with other desktop email clients including Mail.app and Thunderbird.
• Knowledge & experience with iPhone/iPad, Droid and other mobile device systems and configurations.
• Knowledge & experience with mailing list management software applications.
• Knowledge & experience with advanced mail flow concepts and protocols like SMTP, MAPI, and IMAP.
Required Education: Bachelor’s degree. Additional experience can be substituted for education.
Required Experience: Five years related experience.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers
Keywords: Systems & Communications Engineer NLCC, Mid - Level Systems Monitoring Analyst - System Administrator, Property Systems Engineer, System Software Engineer - Authentication, Senior Unix Systems Engineer