Job Location: Ridgefield,CT,United States
Company Name: Boehringer Ingelheim
Date Posted: 2019-10-21
Valid Through: 2019-11-20
Employment Type: FULL_TIME
Estimated Salary: $107,090 PER YEAR
Job ID: 391
Responsible for setting the vision, developing the overarching strategy, and overseeing the implementation of all internal and external communication programs in support of the US Human Pharma (HP) business and in alignment with global and local HP priorities. This includes employee engagement, improving corporate reputation, and leading all product communications efforts. Responsible for execution and integration of communication activities; internally across the US HP organization as well as externally across all key stakeholder groups and channels including traditional, digital and social media. Requires executive leadership who provides guidance to all levels of leadership and oversees the issues management process and deployment as it relates to the HP business. Responsible for leading and developing a large, multi-disciplined team as well as agency of record and other external partners.
Thought leader who identifies external healthcare trends and opportunities to position BI appropriately to raise awareness of HP initiatives. Sits on the U.S. Communications Leadership Team.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies' success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim's high regard for our employees.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Sets the overall vision, strategy and direct implementation of all aspects of BI's Corporate Communications and Product Communications platform for the largest BI business: Human Pharma (HP).
• Leads a team of dedicated HP communications professionals.
• Leads the development of BI's corporate brand that includes assessment of business issues and drivers, marketplace, customers, messages, platform and implementation. Responsible for identifying ongoing ways to raise awareness of and protect corporate brand.
• Works seamlessly with HP marketing teams to oversee brand-specific communication strategies and plans to raise awareness of BI products, as well as drive engagement and conversion.
• Oversees all HP-related internal and external communications, including employee announcements, company communications, news and press releases, publication of company newsletters, media materials and creates content to inform social/digital channels.
• Develops the HP internal communications strategy and oversees implementation to directly impact the business, drive the cultural change agenda, and ensure employee alignment with key business objectives. Must have understanding of analytics and metrics to understand impact of internal communications channels and learn & adjust to achieve impact on business.
• Builds and leverages relationships with key external influencers to positively position BI including: media, community leaders, influencers, trade associations, patients, potential employees, among others.
• Ensures alignment and strong collaboration with the global communications team.
• Establishes the vision and develops the public relations strategy for all US HP-branded products, including pipeline products and clinical trials.
• Builds strong relationships with marketing, medical, and sales leadership to ensure strategic alignment and deliver well-aligned PR strategies that grow market opportunities, market share and sales.
• Oversees the execution of a well-coordinated public relations approach that aligns with Global PR strategies.
• Accountable for HP Corporate Communications and HP product-specific issues/crisis communications as well as the rapid response process to maintain business momentum and protect the reputation of the company.
• Oversees Crisis Communication training and associated activities.
• Responsible for ensuring utilization of official corporate branding and all subsequent governance and usage by the HP business.
• Advises and recommends appropriate course of action to the President and CEO, and members of the Executive Management Committee on communications and public relations matters.
• Demonstrates the ability to consistently work with an organization’s available assets to raise the organization’s profile both internally and externally.
• Prepare and oversee all expenses and headcount budgets, including monthly budget forecasts and annual budgets
• Responsible for growing significant number of communications professionals. Ensures that performance opportunities are proactively managed through the Performance Management system and all department employees have current actionable development plans. Develops, executes and manages professional growth plans for large team.
• Demonstrates innate situational leadership through the ability to train, upgrade and inspire an organization.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required and Master’s Degree from an accredited institution preferred
• Fifteen or more (15+) years’ experience in healthcare public relations and/or corporate communications
• Ten-plus (10+) years management experience with track record of growing and developing teams of at least 10-20 employees
• Two-plus (2+) years working in a corporate environment
• Requires consummate communications professional with extensive experience building and executing communication strategies with insight into PR, media relations, internal communications, stakeholder engagement.
• Must have a thorough understanding of the pharmaceutical industry and how laws, regulations and policies apply to the communications, PR and media discipline. Serves as strategic counsel to executive management to educate on industry requirements.
• Possesses in-depth knowledge of corporate internal and external communications, media relations, CSR, government affairs and pharmaceutical marketing and the ability to link that knowledge to impacting business objectives;
• Experience gaining alignment on communications strategy with key internal stakeholders and driving execution;
• Experience building a clear corporate position and integrating it into all points of contact for key audiences;
• Firm grasp on external environment and customer expectations, how this impacts on the business and approach to understanding how to deliver innovative solutions and strategies for the business
• Proven track record as Communications or Marketing Strategist consulting senior executives and CEOs;
• Proven ability to build relationships and influence key internal stakeholders;
• Ability to strategically manage internal and external resources holistically for effective and efficient delivery of functional work and across categories within span of control;
• Strong analytical abilities; crisis/issue management leadership; ability to maintain composure at all times and establish trust as the “voice of reason” for the organization;
• A nuanced interpersonal style and exceptional verbal and written communication skills;
• Able to make a compelling case for communications and to engender support for programming, decisions and resources;
• A mature demeanor and an ability to interface credibly with senior US and global leaders;works effectively with leaders to lead and drive strategic initiatives;
• Builds relationships with key stakeholders and influence outcomes both with and without authority; collaborates with external partners (alliance partners, NGOs, etc.) and lead and influence in ambiguous situations;
• Strategic and innovative thinker and a champion for change; is creative, innovative and flexible;
• Ability to work well under pressure and enjoy a fast-paced, often unpredictable environment;
• Leadership, coaching, and management capabilities; and the highest level of professional and ethical standards.
• U.S. Communications leaders are expected to embody the following capabilities and regularly display the listed behaviors:
• Holds trust and confidence of superiors and peers.
• Contributes actively as team player and manager/leader.
• Inspires others and is skilled at getting individuals, teams, and an entire organization to perform at a higher level and to embrace change
• Appeals to reason; presents facts / figures; covers and meets underlying needs
• Negotiates skillfully to achieve a fair outcome or promote a common cause
• Communicates a compelling vision and is committed to what needs to be done
• Inspires others; builds high-performing teams; understands what motivates different people
• Inspires confidence and portrays the substance and presence to be a trusted advisor
• Demonstrates innate situational leadership through the ability to train, upgrade and inspire an organization
• Manages people well; gets the most and best out of the people
• Sets and communicates guiding goals; measures accomplishments; holds people accountable; gives useful feedback
• Delegates and develops; keeps people informed; provides coaching for today focused toward the future
Persuasion And Influence
• Organizationally savvy and possesses diversified and transferable talents; maneuvers well to get things done; knows where to go to get what s/he needs; solicits input and involves others in issues that will impact them
• Encourages and empowers the group; improves morale; resolves conflict
• Knows how to quickly establish rapport with peers, teams and outside influencers; strives for win / win solutions
• Is politically aware and agile; knows the right thing to do; presents views and arguments well
• Understands the business and knows the broad communication and marketing functions and the mission-critical technical and functional skills needed to do the job; excellent writing and editing skills
• Demonstrates expert level oral communication skills
• Understands and can apply SWOT concept related to competitors
• Understands various types of business propositions and understands how businesses operate in general
• Learns new methods and technologies easily; is smart, quick, nimble
Planning And Execution
• Organized, analytical, resourceful, and plans carefully
• Effective and efficient at marshaling multiple resources to get things done; lays out tasks in sufficient detail to plot milestones
• Accomplishes tasks with less and in less time; can work on multiple tasks at once without losing track
• Foresees and plans around obstacles; thinks ahead
• Has a strong analytical ability; sees implications and second order consequences; analyzes what’s needed to accomplish goals
Agility, Accountability & Intrapreneurship (AAI)
• Attacks everything with drive, intellectual curiosity and energy with an eye on the bottom line
• Proactive mindset; seizes opportunities as they arise
• Persistent; does not give up when faced with obstacles or rejection
• Demonstrates flexibility and agility to new expectations
• Ability to work under pressure, adapts quickly, and is not afraid to initiate action before all the facts are known; drives to finish every open project.
• Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction.
• Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required)
• Must be 18 years of age or older
Who We Are
At Boehringer Ingelheim we create value through innovation with one clear goal: to improve the lives of patients. We develop breakthrough therapies and innovative healthcare solutions in areas of unmet medical need for both humans and animals. As a family owned company we focus on long term performance. We are powered by 50.000 employees globally who nurture a diverse, collaborative and inclusive culture. Learning and development for all employees is key because your growth is our growth.
Want to learn more?Visit boehringer-ingelheim.com and join us in our effort to make more health.
Boehringer Ingelheim, including Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim USA, Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health USA Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health Puerto Rico LLC and Boehringer Ingelheim Fremont, Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; citizenship status, marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition; physical or psychiatric disability; veteran or military status; domestic violence victim status; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
US-BI Pharma/BI USA